Lions Club of Box Hill Inc.


Go to content

History

About Us

History

Box Hill Lions club was formed on the 11th August 1960 and was the 165th club formed in Australia. The first Australian Club was formed in 1947 in the Northern NSW town of Lismore. Box Hill was chartered on the 6th December 1960 with 22 members. It is the second oldest club within the City of Whitehorse and has around 30 members (6 of these have been with the club for over 30 years).

Over the last 40 years Box Hill has benefited from the continual and committed involvement that the members have given to the local community. The club has been involved with countless projects for the community of Box Hill. These projects included simple things like fuel for the elderly in Winter or paying their Gas and Electricity bills, Organising outings for the elderly, migrants and children. Other projects have been to support the local hospital by raising money for equipment. Box Hill has a continuous involvement with Migrant receptions and Citizenship Ceremonies.

Two of the clubs major projects have been Gowanlea and 40 Dorking Road. Gowanlea is a home for the aged and the club has been involved since the conception of Gowanlea in 1971 / 72 through it construction and opening in 1976. Box Hill Leo club held its meetings here in the past. During 1985 / 86 the club contributed $50,000 to another home for the aged known as 40 Dorking Road. Both of these projects have been a continual source of work and commitment for Box Hill Lions club





Home | About Lions | Lions in Action | About Us | Useful Links | Contact Us | Site Map | Like us on facebook


Back to content | Back to main menu